Supreme Court Shocked on Bihar Police for its Failure to Trace Former Cabinet Minister Manju Verma

Manju Verma who was social welfare minister in the Bihar Government has to step down from the cabinet in the wake of Muzaffarpur shelter home scandal in a case related to alleged recovery of illegal ammunition from her. According to the report submitted by Tata Institute of Social Science to the Bihar government in March several women in those shelter home provided by Social Welfare Minister Manju Verma where women inmates of shelter home were allegedly raped and sexually harassed, she had to resign after it came into light that her husband Chandra Shekhar Verma had a business with a prime accused Brijesh Thakur.

A bench of justice Madan B Lokur and Deepak Gupta, asked, ‘ Has the lady Manju Verma been arrested?’

The council appearing for the Bihar government said Varma was not arrested yet as the police were unable to trace her. 

The bench asked the concerned department to explain as to how a former cabinet minister is not treaceable.

If she remains untraceable until 27th of May then the DGP he has to appear and explain the bench that how a former cabinet minister is not traceable.

According to the report of Tata Institute of Social Science to the social welfare department of Bihar government over 30 girls were allegedly raped and sexually abused at the Muzaffarpur shelter home and the issue since then where dropped out of the power of media. Advocate Fauzia Shakil, appearing for petitioner Nivedita Jha, pointed out that at Higher authorities are involved in the case. Despite the fact that rampant physical and sexual abuse of boys and girls were going on at these 14 shelter homes no action has been taken by State till date. 

The bench on hearing the matter said, “There appears to be widespread mismanagement in the shelter homes of Bihar,” and the government of Bihar has to respond do this matter.

Muzaffarpur shelter home case maybe one of the example of hundreds of shelter home prone to grave injustice and tried hard to depress the matter. If you see such matter in your city, district or  anywhere human directly report it to us and will take the matter and file a case on your behalf. The concerned advocate will take the case on Pro Bono.

by Amaresh Patel

Leave A Comment